In 1854, a meeting was held in the old Linwood School, commencing under difficulties with few supports. However, as it progressed, the presence of the Spirit was felt and 50 persons were converted, 32 joining this branch of the Duck Creek Church. Revivals and meetings were held in Linwood until 1865, when a 'new Columbia Church' was organized. The Columbia church grew rapidly but the Linwood field was idle until 1880, when it became a branch of the Columbia church. Many people could not get to the mother church. A place of worship in the village of Linwood in the area formerly known as "Turkey Bottoms" was greatly needed.
On January 11, 1883 - three years after becoming a branch of the Columbia church, Linwood Baptist Church was duly organized with 29 members. The first deacons were Samuel M. Ferris, Silas W. Huls and J.A. DeArmond. Charles G. Walters was the first treasurer and served many years.
A council composed of the pastor and two delegates from sister churches - Ninth Street, Lincoln Park, Mt. Auburn, First of Walnut Hills, Duck Creek/Mt. Lookout, Newtown, Mt. Washington, Madisonville, Pleasant Ridge, Lockland, Cheviot and Hamilton - convened April 26, 1883 and voted unanimously to recognize the new church. The first baptismal service for five people was held at the Columbia church in June.
The church applied for and was admitted to membership in the Miami Baptist Association in their September meeting. Incorporation papers were received from the Secretary of State in December, 1884.
The church grew rapidly and decided to buy land and build their own church. The new church was dedicated on May 10, 1885. Some of the gifts received from various donors were: the church bell from William H. Doan; a large glass window from Mrs. G. M. Ferris and a chandelier from a Sunday school class. The stained glass window over the pulpit was a gift from the children of the church and village after the church housed Linwood school classes following a fire at the school. The building fund debt was paid off by a luncheon given with Columbia Church and the Ladies Society. The church school was organized in 1885. In 1888, the church entertained the Miami Association for its three-day annual meeting, cooking 1400 meals and sleeping 150 people. Electric lights were installed in 1894 and streetcar tracks were laid in front of the church on Eastern Ave., then Wooster Pike, in 1897 when Linwood (established in 1806) was still a village. in 1910, the addition on the north and east side of the building was completed for Sunday school rooms at the cost of $4,000. Applegate Auditorium, the rear addition, was dedicated in 1956 in honor of H.R. Applegate who served as pastor from 1942-1955. Columbia Parkway was extended into Fairfax around 1960 displacing many in the Linwood community - homes were torn down including the Linwood parsonage.
The church has continued to serve the Linwood community over the years. The church has had 20 pastors. Linwood Baptist has shared a pastor with Columbia Baptist since 1970. Rev. Dianne Steelman has been serving Linwood and Columbia since 1988.